Monday, December 28, 2009

Restaurant Review: Chifa (lunch)

Setting:
Chifa for casual lunch on a cold winter day.


First Impressions:
The front room of this Peruvian-Cantonese restaurant is simply decorated, with the bar lining the left and quasi-booths along the right.  There are shiny Peruvian pots scaling a portion of the wall before the bar. The back room is filled with charming booths, separated by carved wooden dividers.


Food:
First I had perfect crab empanadas.  Order them.  I also sampled the ribs, and they were tasty.  Order those, too.  My entree was the shrimp noodle bowl.  This was very good.  I kind of wonder, in hindsight, why I ordered what is essentially described as fettucine alfredo at a Peruvian-Cantonese restaurant.  I guess the words shrimp and noodles distracted me, and I wasn't thinking when I read bacon, parmesan, creme, and peas.  Next time, I am going to get the red curry or the chowder.


They messed up our order (more on that later), so they gave us both desserts.  One was for the fruit-lover person who is fussy enough to need a "palate cleanser" and one was made just for me.  The passionfruit and coconut option was really refreshing, but everyone knows when there are two dessert choices you reach for the one that says hazlenut mocha every time.  Every time.


Service:
So, the mess up was that they brought out our full first course twice.  In other words, we completely ate our first course, were waiting for our second, and then it was Groundhog's Day.  So they gave us an extra order of ribs for the wait.  Other than that, our service was good.


Beverage Note: Their specialty cocktail is a Chicha Morada, which is a purple and super sweet rum drink.  I tried a sip.  It's okay - the cocktail on my list to try next time is their caipirinha.  This time around I had a glass of malbec.


Definitely go.


Food     mmmm
Service     mmm
Decor     mmmm
Je ne sais quoi     mmm
Overall     mmmm

707 Chestnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106

About the ratings:
mmmmm        would eat there again tomorrow
mmmm           looking forward to eating there again
mmm              not in a hurry to eat there again
mm                 likely not going to eat there again
m                    would try my best never to eat there again. ever.
I reserve the right to grade on a curve for the overall score, despite the average.

No comments:

Post a Comment