Friday, June 4, 2010

Restaurant Review: Mexico on the Square

Okay don't get too excited because this Mexican spot is not right on the square, but it's close enough that you could order your food, and five minutes later (they make it super fast!), take it with you to a sunny or shady spot in Rittenhouse Square.

When I lived in Baltimore after Hurricane Katrina, there was this amazing place that served tacos al pastor.  They had a beautiful patio with a spit where they roasted the little piggy right there (vegans, vegetarians, and weekend-atarians please forgive the imagery). But there were margaritas and a mariachi band so we hardly noticed.  Those tacos al pastor, however, were more expensive and less delicious than the tacos I discovered on Pine Street, between 15th and 16th.


First Impressions:
It's a little corner shop, it used to be a little corner deli, and they have tables outside.  There are no fusses or frills here, and the food is the focus.  The refrigerated display shelves were empty, though, except for a few cakes that didn't look like tres leches or flan.  I wanted to see some flan.    

The Food:
I only had the tacos al pastor and a cup of something that was like a coconut custard (but lighter than custard).  Both were really fantastic, but my stomach hurt a little afterward because maybe I ate my coconut treat too quickly.  The tacos have pineapple chunks in them, which made them even more delicious.  Next time I am going to get a sope so I can have some avocado.  Each of my little tacos were $2.50, and they definitely filled me up. 



The Service:
Very friendly and helpful.  

Food     mmmmm
Service     mmmmm
Decor     mmm (fill up the display!  show me some flan!)
Je ne sais quoi     mmm
Overall     mmmm

1511 Pine Street
Philadelphia, PA 19102
 (215) 732-1907

p.s. please forgive typos!

About the ratings:
mmmmm        would eat there again tomorrow
mmmm           looking forward to eating there again
mmm              not in a hurry to eat there again
mm                 likely not going to eat there again
m                    would try my best never to eat there again. ever.
I reserve the right to grade on a curve for the overall score, despite the average.

No comments:

Post a Comment