Sunday, June 13, 2010

Restaurant Review: Mamoun's Falafel Restaurant

Since I am staying in a closet with a teeny kitchen with room only for fairies to do their cooking, I am eating out a lot.  Luckily I am living in a great neighborhood for just this type of situation.  From what I have been reading, New Yorkers and New York tourists and posing New Yorkers rave their socks off about Mamoun's falafel.  Seriously.  Even Bethenny Frankel mentioned it on her show when interviewing the Napoleon Dynamite assistant.  Anyway, tonight I went there for what is supposed to be the quintessential falafel sandwich.

First Impressions:
This place is not meant to be a lingering location.  Stand in line, walk through the narrow "dining area," exchange awkward glances with the people in front of you when it's your turn to squeeze up to the counter to place your order, order your falafel sandwich (or lamb shawarma, which will be my next choice), pay $2.50 for said falafel sandwich, and 1.5 minutes later, your lunch/dinner/late night snack is ready.

The Food:
Yum!  However much one could rave about a falafel sandwich, and even if the raving could ever be excessive, this sandwich was really good.  The falafel is not overly anything, just right, and it's nestled into a pita stuffed with shredded romaine, tomatoes, and tahini sauce.  Real green leafy stuff!  It's pretty much  worth every bit of the two dollars and fifty cents that I spent on it.


It looks messier than it is.

The Service:
Quick. Quick. Quick.  I feel like this category is almost n/a for take-out this quick.  What do I say?  The cashier's eye contact was really meaningful?  The way he took my money made me know that I was a valued customer and he really appreciated that I stood in line for five minutes? 

Food     mmmm
Service     mmm
Decor     mm 
Je ne sais quoi     mm (this place is not meant for je ne sais quoi, and for this place that's not necessarily bad)
Overall     mmmm

119 MacDougal Street
New York, NY 10012
p.s. Please forgive typos.  If there are ever any, I never notice them until a post is published.

About the ratings:
mmmmm        would eat there again tomorrow
mmmm           looking forward to eating there again
mmm              not in a hurry to eat there again
mm                 likely not going to eat there again
m                    would try my best never to eat there again. ever.
I reserve the right to grade on a curve for the overall score, despite the average.

No comments:

Post a Comment