Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The Darker Side of Bon Appetreat: Exam Season Eating

Exams have been over for just a week, and I am still recovering from exam season eating.  When exam season hits any reasonable eating regime goes out the window in exchange for eating like a latch key kid left home alone on a Saturday with a cupboard full of treats, snacks, odds, and ends.  This means eat whatever you can find, and when you are not eating, watch copious amounts of television and/or sleep the entire day.

Usual regime = morning cereal and coffee, mid-morning Stonyfield yogurt, lunch from the "s" family: sandwich, soup, salad, or sushi, afternoon Naked Juice Blue Machine or Green Machine, dinner from the "s" family.

When exams come around, I wake up, eat cereal, watch terrible tv online (too embarrassed to say which terrible tv), eat pita chips and hummus, sleep, eat more pita chips and hummus, more tv, more sleep. I spent entire days sleeping, hulu-ing, and pita-chip-and-hummussing my way through days gorgeous and mundane alike.

To make amends (and because all of my pita chips and hummus was gone), I tried Bacchus Market at 23rd and Pine.  Even though I got two thin slices of seared tuna, really delicious - blackened only on the edges, and a Greek salad. . . an iced coffee later I was back to watching missed episodes of 30 Rock.  Nightcap road to recovery = framboise, mango sorbet, and chocolate quadratinis.

Post exam menus might include: A later-to-be-regretted cheeseburger.  An entire box of chocolate donuts with a side of two antacid tablets.  Roasted chicken overstuffed with cornbread-meat stuffing (this is from a student who's a chef savant).  Cinnamon-raisin toast and eggs for breakfast  and leftover Indian for dinner.

Exam season is now well over, and I think I gained 5-7 pounds.  No joke.  The next couple of weeks before  New York will require a reexamination of my eating habits.

No comments:

Post a Comment